Some of the animal fountains near Pioneer Courthouse Square in downtown Portland (with the MAX light rail in the back)
So I've been in Portland for just over a week now. I've settled into my apartment and a routine of various "meals for one" (pasta, eggs, and rice have been the main dinner options). Also caught up with various people at university (although many have still been in and out on summer break); I now have a pokey little office at PSU to hide away in and I have a few seminars and lunches lined up in the coming weeks. Much of the week has been focused on (finally) getting my NZTA cycling research report finished off, but I've also been able to get out and sample a bit of city life as well. I now have a bike, courtesy of Miguel and Sarah (thanks!) so I can explore a little further afield.
The greater Portland area has ~1.6 million people, although only about a third live in Portland City itself. Compared with many other cities in US/NZ/Can/Aus, the thing that strikes me about downtown Portland is how well they do the urban environment. From a transport perspective it's great to see the investment in public transport and bikes, but it's also about the wonderful street-scapes. Nice wide corridors provide a lot of room for both function and form; often the two go together, so you get street art that's also useful (e.g. as seating or a water fountain). Within a single city block you're likely to see a modern bus shelter (with real-time info), drinking fountains (the famous "Benson bubblers"), raised flower beds, trees, seating, bike racks, rubbish-bins, street lighting and some sculpture; yet still there's heaps of space to just walk. Then there's also the many squares and park blocks and the numerous fountains scattered around the city bringing relief on a hot day.
Keller Fountain, downtown Portland - it was about 36 degrees when I took this!
Today I visited the SE part of Portland for another growing institution - Sunday Parkways. These take place at various locations throughout Portland about once a month, and involve closing off a loop of ~10km of streets for 5 hrs so that people can walk, ride, scoot, skate, whatever without the distraction of motor traffic (yes, if you're a local you can still access your house, although they encourage you not to drive if you can avoid it). At parks along the way various stands, food-stalls and events are set up; many enterprising local residents also join in the fun with their own lemonade stands, garage sales, or sprinklers to ride through (much needed today!). All in all, tens of thousands of Portlanders (and me!) come along for a very fun day - and apparently are always asking when the next one is. Perhaps we could try one in Christchurch?
Enjoying the fun on a traffic-free Ankeny St
Did I mention it was over 30 degrees again today?
No comments:
Post a Comment